Law Offices of Osas Iyamu, LLC.
Distance Is No Barrier, Call Us Now! (800) 974-6480 (352) 237-2403
Law Offices of Osas Iyamu, LLC.

Immigrant Visa Petition for a Parent of a United States Citizen.

Only a Citizen of the United States qualifies as a Petitioner and may file an Immigrant visa petition for a parent. The petitioner must be at least 21 years old at the time of filing.

The parent-child relationships can be established through birth, through adoption, or through a marriage creating a step relationship

In order for the beneficiary to be considered the parent of the petitioner:

  1. The petitioner must have once qualified as the Child of the beneficiary.; and
  2. The relationship must continue to exist, even though the petitioner is over 21 years old and, therefore, no longer a Child.

Where the relationship has been terminated as would happen in the case of a step parent-Step Child relationship if marriage between the step-parent and natural parent were to be terminated by divorce or annulment, or would happen if the Child were to be given up for adoption), the beneficiary parent would no longer be eligible for classification as a parent, even though the petitioner had once been considered to be the beneficiary’s Child.

The requirements for establishing the parent-child relationship are the same as with petitions for children, In addition to evidence of U.S. citizenship, the petitioner must also provide evidence of the claimed relationship.

Immigrant Visa Petitions for More than Two Parents.

There is no limitation on the number of parents for whom a single petitioner may file a visa petition. For example, if the (alien) natural parents of the petitioner divorced and both remarried other aliens prior to the petitioner’s 18th birthday, the petitioner could file petitions for his natural mother, his natural father, his stepmother and his stepfather.

Upon approval of the Immigrant Visa Petition, adjustment of status to that of a Lawful Permanent resident may be pursued either in the U.S. through the green card process or outside the U.S. through an Immigrant visa application at the foreign Embassy.

Osas Iyamu

Distance Is No Barrier, Call Us Now!
(800) 974-6480
(352) 237-2403