The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services USCIS has launched a web-based immigration benefits system called USCIS ELIS.
This is a welcome development especially in the age of technological advancement. It has long been overdue.
Historically, USCIS customers have had to apply for most benefits by mail and USCIS employees then review paper files and ship documents between offices to complete the adjudication process.
The new system will
1. Modernize the process for filing and adjudicating immigration benefits in the United States.
2. Enable USCIS officers to review and adjudicate online filings from multiple agency locations across the United States.
3. Let immigration petitioner or applicants file applications and pay Immigration filing fees online.
4. Facilitate shorter processing times.
5. Provide the ability to update user profiles, receive notices, and respond to requests for Evidence electronically.
The new system is currently limited to online Immigration application to extend or change nonimmigrant status for certain visa types such as Student Visa, Tourist visa for Business or pleasure.
USCIS intends to add more form types and functions to the system, gradually expanding it to cover filing and adjudication for all USCIS immigration benefits.
With all the sensitive information disclosed on immigration applications, securing these data should be of utmost concern and importance to USCIS in the wake of online identity theft and cyber attack.
USCIS cannot afford to allow any cracks in its new system as the success of the system will depend on its security.